Tuesday, December 15, 2020

Growing In Unity: Day 2

 

Day 2: Manila Tag Gift Card Holder & Highland Cow Christmas Card

   

    Today, I created two projects for you all. I took a large manila tag and created a gift card or money holder tag. My oldest child is getting to that age where he has begun asking for gift cards for music, books, and gaming, so I figured that I would make a fun holder using all my Unity Stamp Company goodies. 




 

    I took a 3 1/8' x 6 1/4" manilla tag from Unity and scored it to fit a gift card. I stamped sheet music stamp from the Nov 2019 SMAK kit 'Beauty of Life" in Gina K obsidian amalgam ink. Then I added layers of the pine branches in three shades of distress oxide ink. I selectively inked the stamps while they were on my platform for variety. Then I stamped the Merry Christmas sentiment from "Warmth of Christmas" stamp set in Brutus Monroe embossing ink and embossed it in BM Christmas Eve embossing powder. Afterwards, I dabbed the edges with vintage photo distress oxide to give it an antique feel.


    Afterward, I used sookwang/scoretape to help affix it to create a pocket. Add your favorite string or ribbon and you're good to go! I used ribbon from Busy Box Blends by Pammy J for this tag.  









My second project was a Christmas card for a friend who LOVES highland cows. (Hopefully she isn't reading the blog...) I stamped the "Take No Bull" stamp in Gina K Obsidian Amalgam Ink on Strathmore Cold Press Watercolor Paper. The image was colored using Arteza real brush markers in shades of red, brown and orange. (Sorry my 4 year old spilled the bucket of markers so that I don't have the exact shades.) I blended out using a water filled brush to the desired look. I chose two shades of blue for the sky and blended those out for a layered cloud effect. I went back and dulled the black outline on the cloud using a White Gelly Roll pen. 

    Once dry, I affixed the watercolor panel to a background piece of paper from Unity's Krafty Season paper pack with paper tape. These layers were added to a kraft paper card base from Darice. I stamped the Season's Greetings sentiment from the "Warmth of Christmas" stamp set in embossing ink from Brutus Monroe and used their Alabaster embossing powder to make it pop on the tag. I affixed the tag to the card using Sheer White 3/4" organza ribbon that I also got from Unity. I attached the lights embellishment that I found in the sticker aisle at Hobby Lobby using micro glue dots.

I hope these projects inspired you to pull out your favorite Unity stamps and get inky. Both projects can be adapted easily for other holidays as well. Remember that you are only limited by your imagination! What's currently on your craft desk?

Crafty hugs to you all,
Holly





    


21 comments:

  1. I just love everything about the tags and card!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool projects today! The card is so cute, but I really love the idea of using the tag to make a gift card holder... very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh! I love that cow. He looks so fuzzy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The addition of the string of lights to the cow’s horns- genius! That card will be treasured.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A gift tag holder and a delightful card!
    stamping sue
    http://stampingsueinconnecticut.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. That cow was so cute anyway and adding the lights just makes it that much more adorable. I am totally stealing the idea for making the tags into gift card holders.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very neat card! Love the added lights!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a quick way to make a gift card holder! The lights on your bull really make an everyday stamp into a festive Christmas card! Your friend will be thrilled!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Highland cow really is a beauty so I can see why you're friend likes them. They are supposedly a friendly breed as well. Love your beautifully layered card and the tag turned into a GC holder is a fab idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great gift card holder and lovely card!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome gift card holder and card! I love the lights you added to the card!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my gosh!! Both of your projects are amazing! The gift card holder is genius (I'm totally going to use this idea), and the cow 😍 sooooo adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am definitely going to make these gift card holder tags. I am so inspired! I also adore the card. I adore animals and what you did with this cow is awesome and so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Both projects are great, I especially like the tag

    ReplyDelete
  15. AWWWWWWW your cards and tags are just so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I LOVE the cow card! We have 3 of those cows. They are sweethearts! Your coloring is amazing. Love the tags too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the pocket idea! It’s a perfect way to hold gift cards which can sometimes be boring to just stick inside a card.

    ReplyDelete
  18. fantastic projects! I had no justifiable connection to bulls but I swoon every time i see that stamp used. I love what you did with it here! So fun!!

    ReplyDelete

Growing In Unity Blog Hop

Welcome to the Growing In Unity Blog Hop, everyone! If you've already been hopping along, thank you for continuing along our little hop....